WHAT: Apartment Fire with Victim Transport
WHEN: The Houston Fire Department was dispatched to the fire just after 12:30 a.m. this morning, June 10, 2013.
WHERE: 2475 Underwood
INJURIES: One resident was transported to the hospital and was reported to be in stable condition.
DAMAGE: The apartment suffered from about $4 thousand in estimated damage.
CAUSE: The cause of the fire was determined to be a cooking fire in the kitchen.
DETAILS: Firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke coming from the 3-story apartment building with a report of a possible person trapped. The crew of Engine 37 and Ladder 33 located a victim in a wheelchair and helped to remove her from the apartment. She was treated on scene and transported to the hospital. Crews extinguished a small fire in the kitchen area and tapped out the fire just before 1:30 a.m. Approximately 60 firefighters responded to the incident.
HFD reminds residents that cooking is the number one cause of residential fires and is preventable by following these safety tips:
• Always, have a working smoke detector!
• Over half the people attempting to extinguish a kitchen fire are injured. Often the best advice is to get everyone out of the house and call the fire department (911) from a neighbor’s house.
• Use a moderate cooking temperature
• Don’t overfill the container
• If you must leave the kitchen, turn the burner off (Unattended cooking is the primary cause of kitchen fires. Over half of these are grease/oil fires.)
• Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove. Curious children may reach up and grab the handle, pulling the hot contents down on themselves.
• Don’t position handles over another burner, it may catch on fire or burn someone who touches it.
• Wear short sleeves or tight fitting long sleeves when cooking to reduce a clothing fire hazard.
• Shield yourself from scalding steam when lifting lids from hot pans.
• Make sure pot holders are not too close to the stove. They could catch fire!
• Keep ovens, broilers, stove tops, and exhaust ducts free from grease.
• If there is a fire in the oven – Turn off the oven and keep the oven door closed.
• Never try to move the pan, don’t throw water on it, and don’t put flour on it.
• If you attempt to extinguish the fire, it is best to use a class ABC multipurpose fire extinguisher. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions – stay back 6 to 8 feet and be careful not to spray the grease out of the pan. Baking soda can also smother the fire. Fires can double in size every 30 seconds.
- Last Call 5-31-2013: Houston Fire Department Mourns Four of Its Own (onguard4america.wordpress.com)
- HFD: Resident fell asleep while cooking, sparking apartment fire (khou.com)
- Grease fire prompts brief evacuation of OP apartments (fox4kc.com)
- Resident forced to jump from 3rd floor in apartment fire (q13fox.com)
- Hundreds evacuated, several units destroyed by inner Brisbane apartment building blaze (abc.net.au)